Not So Fairly Traded Chocolate
At PLAYinCHOC we’re a lot of things. We’re child, slave and animal labour free, we’re dairy, nut and gluten free, and we’re plastic free.
In every sense of the word, we’re fairly traded - but we’re not Fairtrade certified, and here’s why!
What Is Fairtrade Chocolate?
The Fairtrade Foundation has a global reach, and they’re recognised across the world by their blue, green and black logo. When a product carries their sticker, they become synonymous with a movement: people pushing for the fair treatment of farmers. But what does this really mean? And what is the reality of Fairtrade?
Fairtrade is about improving the treatment of farmers in low-income or underdeveloped countries. The charity aims to address injustices regarding pay, working conditions, sustainability and trade. Many different products can be Fairtrade: chocolate, coffee, tea, bananas, sugar and herbs.
In theory, this is an extremely worthwhile cause. However, in practice, it is unclear whether farmers are actually benefiting from the movement:
- Certification Fees: Individuals and corporations must pay to be Fairtrade certified. This means that, for many, it is an inaccessible scheme. It is also one that is unfairly weighted towards large co-operatives, who ultimately control the Fairtrade premium and dominate the market. This leads to unevenly distributed revenue, as the farmers are unable to sell their goods under Fairtrade conditions, because they simply can’t afford to.
- Administration Fees: Farmers and corporations are faced with many fees, reiterating that it is an inaccessible system. The administration fees in particular are harsh as they are typically absorbed by the local community. This means that they are undertaking a heavy financial burden before knowing if they will receive any return.
- The Marketplace: Fairtrade products are priced highly because they cannot be sold below a certain premium. However, this price does not necessarily reflect the quality or the amount. This means that Fairtrade goods have a much smaller customer base, as many people cannot afford to buy them. Moreover, many stores no longer stock Fairtrade goods because they can buy the same product elsewhere, at a much lower price.
Many of the disadvantages of Fairtrade products, for farmers, commerce stores and customers, revolve around money. In short, while Fairtrade should be a wholly good thing, it isn’t always fair.
Not Fairtrade, But Fairly Traded
Our chocolate isn’t Fairtrade because, in short, we believe that we can do it better. At PLAYinCHOC, we go the extra mile to make sure that our products are fairly traded; from bean to bar, we ensure that everything is fairly sourced, high-quality and sustainable.
- Fairly Sourced: Our chocolate is made from single origin Peruvian cacao beans. As they are single origin, we know exactly where they come from, and how they’ve travelled from point A to point B. We pride ourselves on exclusively sourcing beans from small, family owned farms, which allows us to support local, independent farmers.
- High Quality: We believe that chocolate should be pure and natural, which is why our bars contain just three ingredients: cacao, coconut and vanilla. From the finest Madagascan bourbon vanilla to the best Indonesian creamed coconut, selecting high quality products is our priority.
- Sustainable: Everything about our chocolate is sustainable, from the way it’s made to the way that it’s packaged and sold. Everything is made in the UK. We only use paper-based materials that are recyclable, biodegradable and home compostable. This means that you can enjoy great tastes without worrying about the environmental impact.
We believe that by not being Fairtrade certified, we can actually do more for people and for the planet. We don’t face any restrictions, and neither do our farmers, which means that we can make sure they receive the best possible treatment - and that you receive the best possible final product.
We’re not Fairtrade but we are fairly traded, which means:
- Our farmers aren’t subject to high fees.
- We can support small, independent farmers without being restricted to unfair cooperatives.
- Our pricing reflects our quality, and our commitment to the environment, while still being affordable.
JOY + HEALTH + PLANET is our philosophy, and this isn’t something that we could embody without making every effort to be fairly traded - something that we succeed at every day.
Fairly Traded Products With PLAYinCHOC.
Fairly traded chocolate comes in all shapes and sizes. There’s sometimes a misconception that healthy, organic products that are good for you and good for the planet, are boring, and with PLAYinCHOC this couldn’t be further from the truth.
Most of our chocolates come with a toy because we want kids to be able to learn, play and have fun all at the same time. With rabbit, woodland animal, endangered animal and dinosaur collections available, as well as an exciting new Christmas collection, there’s something for everyone. No matter what your kids are interested in, we have something for them to explore and enjoy. You can offer them a delicious and fun snacking experience, while being secure in the knowledge that you aren’t hurting the planet - quite the opposite!
Take a look at our collections today, and transform your approach to organic chocolate forever. While we’re not Fairtrade, we are fairly traded and while the difference is small, the benefits are enormous.
If you have any questions about our products, or about our approach, then don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Get Ready for an Egg-citing Easter Adventure!
PLAYin CHOC® Launches New Sea Animals Collection!
New Year's Resolutions 2023 - Veganuary
Free Christmas Printable for Kids
Organic September 🌱
How To Throw A Fun Eco-Friendly Party
Major Chocolate Brands Using Child & Slave Labour In Chocolate Production
Mother's Day Gift Guide
Getting to know Alice & Emily Haworth-Booth
Together We Are Strong
Happy World Wildlife Day!
5 TiPS TO KEEP THE KiDS ENTERTAiNED
Ethical Stocking Fillers
Getting to know…Polly Dunbar
Our Favourite Endangered Animal Facts For Kids
No Tricks, Just Treats 🍫
Family Fun With These Spooky Dairy Free Cookies
Getting to know… Samantha Bailey
Happy birthday to us! ✨
Join our mailing list to discover new products, events and special offers!
Sign up and save 10% on your first order!